Skip to main content

ArtServe Class, February 18, 2010

Gesture Gesture Gesture!

First, Check out this incredible article from American Artist Drawing magazine by Patricia Hannaway. She is an animator and has an incredible handle on gesture. She draws "What the model is doing!" not what it looks like!

This is a link to the article. I will copy some of it for your records.
Thursday will be a high energy day. Bring pencils or charcoal. I hope to get you off the tables and draw with an "extension pole" on very large craft paper. I will have to get permission from ArtServe to do this, but it is a great exercise. Gesture drawings are great for your sketchbooks too.
Check out Patricia's web site too:

I went up to the Armory Art Center in West Palm Beach on friday. They are having a retrospective of Muriel Kaplan's work. She drew large figures on craft paper. So stunning because of the scale. You loosen up your work if you have to stretch your arms to make it. I cannot find any images of Muriel's work on the net, but do check it out if you get up there. The Armory is a wonderful resource.

See you Thursday!
Tuesday Evening Drawing Class at Studio Blueye will be doing the same exercise. Please call me or email me if you are coming.

Comments

  1. dear elizabeth,
    so pleased you enjoyed my article! While I still work on some film development, I spend most time on my fine artwork these days. Just returned from the UK, working with Aardman Animations, and back in my studio in Palo Alto, CA. Please let me know if I can do any thing further to assist you.
    My website is www.pathannaway.com

    Best and thank you!
    --Pat Hannaway :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SINGAPORE BIENNALE 2016

Lucky me. I arrived in Singapore to find their Biennale in the Singapore Art Museum and other Museums and institutions around town. It has been a great introduction to the Southeast Asian geography and culture. Many visits have pulled me out of an extreme state of jet lag and whetted my appetite to learn more about Southeast Asia. Singapore Biennale AN ATLAS OF MIRRORS - AT ONCE, MANY WORLDS "In charting our way around the world, humankind has relied on instruments of vision as well as navigation. Atlases map and mirror our journeys of discovery and often make visible more than just physical terrain; driven by our needs and desires, they embolden us to venture into the unknown. From our coordinates in Southeast Asia, the arc of our shared histories encompasses East and South Asia. These regions bear the imprints of one another's diverse cultures, even as boundaries are also constantly reimagined. Fraught and unstable, these borders are characterized by fluid mo
Cone of Chaos Graphite on Museum Board 40 x 60"

Monday figures at ArtServe- July 19

It's a Sonya kind of morning tomorrow! We will carry on with gestures, measuring and proportion. Come join us for monday meditation. Cool Artists of the week. Just for fun: Giuseppe Arcimboldo http://www.giuseppe-arcimboldo.org/ Charles W. Dwyer http://www.onessimofineart.com/artists/Dwyer/Charles_Dwyer_Originals.html And now for something completely different Anthony Green from the UK http://anthonygreen.org.uk/paintings.html Mercedes Helnwein Incredible pencil drawings - Check out her "journal" or blog http://www.mercedeshelnwein.com/ Enjoy! Happy summer. See you tomorrow!